When it comes to exercise equipment, treadmills are one of the most frequent purchases. If you actually use your treadmill on a regular basis then it is money well-spent. If, on the other hand, your treadmill becomes a place to hang your clothes or stack unread magazines then it will have been a waste of money.
The debate between people who swear by the benefits of using a treadmill and those who say walking outside is the way to go has gone on for years. When it comes to exercise equipment, treadmills, stationary bikes and elliptical machines, there is an associated expense whether you purchase the equipment directly or go to a health club.
How do you decide which is best for you? Review the following pros and cons of using a treadmill and decide for yourself.
- Varying your workout is easy: You can easily increase your speed, level of incline, etc.
- Weather does not matter: Hot summer days, cold winter mornings, rainy afternoons or snowy nights will not keep you from your workout.
- Safety: You will not need to worry about walking at night or on a busy street
- You can watch TV which allows you to focus on something other than the fact that you are exercising
- Heart Monitor: Many treadmills have a heart rate monitor that lets you know if you are getting the maximum benefit from your workout
- Interval training is easy as you can track the distances you walk and run
- Allergies are not a worry: Pollen and pollution cause problems for people who are sensitive to these environmental factors. Working out indoors will eliminate these issues.
- Treadmills are expensive, whether you have to join a club to use them or purchase one for your home
- Storage can be an issue if you purchase one for your house. Even treadmills that can be folded into a smaller size have to be stored somewhere.
Walking outside, of course, has all sorts of benefits. It is the perfect time to catch up with friends, your spouse or your children. You can listen to the birds sing and see the flowers in bloom. Best of all, it is free! So before you invest in any exercise equipment such as treadmills make sure you will use it.
What do you think? Do you prefer taking a walk outside or walking on a treadmill?