The Omron blood pressure monitor is a must have item for anyone watching their blood pressure. It cannot get any easier: just wrap the cuff around your arm, press start and you will get your blood pressure reading.
Many people who walk, do so because they are trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Burning calories is the primary reason most people exercise. Keeping your blood pressure in check should be an equally important goal.
What is blood pressure? Blood pressure is a way of measuring how much force is being exerted on the walls of your blood vessels (artery) as blood flows through them.
The top number is called Systolic and it is the pressure exerted as your heart contracts or beats. A reading of less than 120mm Hg is normal.
Diastolic is the bottom number and it is the pressure exerted when your heart relaxes in between heartbeats in the arteries. A reading of less than 80 mm Hg is considered normal.
Adults are considered to have high blood pressure when their top number is greater than or equal to 140 mm Hg and their bottom number is greater than or equal to 90 mm Hg.
In addition to blood pressure, most Omron blood pressure monitors display your pulse and will show you if you have an irregular heartbeat rhythm. Depending on the model you purchase the Omron blood pressure monitor can store up to 90 readings allowing you to track your blood pressure over time.
Most of the cuffs will fit medium to large size arms, it you have very small or large arms make sure the cuff can be adjusted to fit you. Omron offers cuffs in different sizes.
The Omron blood pressure monitors have large, easy to read numbers. They come with an AC adapter and a storage case.
When you take your blood pressure with the Omron blood pressure monitor follow these few simple steps:
- Your feet should be planted firmly on the floor
- Place your arm flat on the table with your palm facing up. The cuff should be level with your heart (a diagram in the instruction manual shows how this is done)
- The cuff should be strapped on ½ inch above your elbow
- Make sure the air tube is free and clear and is not under your arm or the monitor
- Remain still and do not talk during the measurement
Before you take your blood pressure:
- Avoid eating, smoking and exercising for 30 minutes before taking a measurement.
- Do not take a measurement when you are under an abnormal amount of stress
- Take the measurement in a quiet place
- Keep a record of your readings – one reading does not prove anything
- Measure your blood pressure at the same time of day for consistency
The Omron blood pressure monitor has an easy to read instruction manual and is easy to assemble; you just snap in the air tube and plug in the adapter.
The Omron blood pressure monitor gets a 5 star rating on Amazon. I agree, I have an Omron blood pressure monitor and have been using it to keep track of my blood pressure. I hate going to the doctor’s and the longer I sit and wait the higher my blood pressure goes. With the Omron blood pressure monitor I can get a reading when I am relaxed in my own home.